Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Life after graduation: there’s more to learn about finances

Let’s face it, paying back student loans is by far the worst part of college; I would rather sit through another semester with my dull, monotone American History professor than deal with repaying my loans. While I was lucky enough to get a full time job a few weeks after graduating, finding extra money in my budget for student loans is difficult enough, add in rent, food, credit cards and other expenses and it can feel like your budget is stretched to the max.

I’ll admit that I am not the best at balancing a checkbook or making a budget, so there are ways that I’ve been trying to improve. I started by using Mint.com to analyze where I was spending my money. The graphs I was able to make showed my spending habits and where I needed to cut back. By analyzing my spending and switching my payment plans for my loans, I will be able to start saving money instead of spending it.

So while this might not be where I pictured myself financially a year after graduating, at least this past year has showed how and why I need to take more responsibility for my finances. I know there are more resources out there to check out, and that credit unions are always there to help.


Jess H., Maine Credit Union League

No comments:

Post a Comment